Thursday, June 15, 2006

Poetry Thursday

This week I have two poems for poetry thursday. One is an attempt at a Fibs style of poetry. I discovered this genre of poerty through tiny article in Skirt Magazine. Which by the way the talented media artist and blogger Misty Mawn's artwork is on the cover for this issue. Fibs poetry is a mathematical way of creating a poem, where the sum of the syllables in each line must equal the sum of the syllables in the two previous lines. The challenge was pretty intense for me. I had a hard time being creative in the mist of trying to make sure I was mathmatically in the boundries of syallables. It became very apparent why I have always hated math. Maybe I will try again someday, but for now I will stick to other forms of poetry writing that fuel my creativity.

Fibs poem:

quiet
silence
eludes me

chaos surrounds me
and I cannot hear myself think


~Lisa 2006

The second poem I wrote was from a prompt that I found through le vie en rose... a sweet life at the end of her post for SPC . "In the wonderful book Poemcrazy Wooldridge suggests you write your own name poem using the following prompt":

My real name is
yesterday my name was
tomorrow my name will be
in my dream my name was

This is what I came up with.

My real name is
passion
for life,
languages,
and
experiencing whatever
excites and
ignites my mind.

Yesterday,
my name was stagnate
and stuck
in my vision of
what I knew to
be the difference between
right and wrong.

Tomorrow,
my name will be strength,
solidly standing
on both feet
fit, empowered and
making choices
that suit me.

In my dream my name
was power
in the knowledge of obtaining
balance, success and growth
to become a self assured,
able bodied woman
recaptured.


~Lisa 2006




more poems here






3 Comments:

Blogger Star said...

Love your poem...I tried it myself after seeing it on la vie en rose. It was a challenge to whittle one's self down to so few words. Thanks for sharing this.

2:07 PM  
Blogger bb said...

Great exercises with fantastic results. And I'm always only the lookout for new ideas, so will probably stealing, ahem, borrowing these at some point...

10:36 AM  
Blogger 31 Girl said...

Awesome! I totally loved the poems. I hate math so I really couldn't understand how the first one worked but the second one just blew me away. I will definetly be trying to see if I can come up with anything like that.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home