Thursday, July 06, 2006

Hello Again!

It's been forever and a day since I have posted because I took a little road trip with my parents and daughter to New York! We drove from Atlanta, stayed over in Roanoke one night and arrived in New York the following day. There was plenty of time to read in the car and my daughter spent endless amounts of time watching Barney, on a newly purchased portable DVD player specifically for the trip. God bless Barney! Unfortunately, the reason we went was not a pleasant one; a memorial service for a relative. Cousins of mine, whom I have not seen in ages came from California, Arkansas and Washington.

Though it was for the memorial service that we took the trip, we still did manage to have time to do fun things too. I went to the Met and saw the special exhibit Hatshepsut: From Queen to Pharaoh. We also were able to see the famous Tuscan vase that the Met will be returning to Italy. We made it to Soho and china town and did a bit of shopping. There was also the opportunity to walk through central park. It did rain a significant amount when we were there but it was still a great time had by all.

On the return trip we had planned to spend a day in Washington, D.C. my old hometown but were only ale to spend the night and move on because parts of the city were flooded and the Smithsonian and museums were shut down. It was great being back and to see all the changes to the neighborhood where I grew up and to see other parts of the city where I had spent time romping around. What a great cultural oasis. I had a hard time leaving, but it made me think that in a couple of years I will head back up North permanently. I think I would love for my daughter to have the experience growing up there as compared to the South. At the moment though it is good to be home and not living out of a suitcase. I will spend the next few days getting readjusted and will start in on blogging again this upcoming Sunday for Sunday Scribblings . Meanwhile, I have a lot of catching up to do on blog reading, tending to my house and catching up on book/magazine reading too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home