Thursday, September 14, 2006

Poetry Thursday ~ Who Do You Want To Be

I mentioned in an earlier post that Charles Bukowski is one of my all time favorite poets. Not that I would want to be him. I simply admire his ability to be so raw and push the boundries in his craft. For an assignment we had to take an aspect of one of our favorite poets and write a poem. The following poem is how I imagined him on the days he was just a bit too drunk.


Jack Daniels

Trapped he sits coiled
like a snake on the cold
tiled bathroom floor.
Shivering like a child
afraid of the dark, his
head rests peacefully
on the white cushioned
toilet rim. Sweat drips
from his forhead like
rain off a gutter onto
his shirt. The room
spins like a tornado
in the air. He waits
for freedom, waves
crashing inside his
stomach. He slithers
silently to his bed.

~ Lisa 1991

See more poetry here

10 Comments:

Anonymous abhay said...

wonderful writing!
Its good to learn about your favorite poet Charles Bukowski!

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Leo said...

I loved it. The imagery is fascinating! Great writing...

10:47 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

The imagery was fabulous! It brought back a few nights from my youth. Well Done!

12:10 PM  
Blogger jzr said...

Very Nice Work!!

1:21 PM  
Blogger yioeng said...

hey... this one was good. i liked the way you created such a vivid image there... it's almost like you give some space in the reader to stand in one corner and watch that man trying to handle the situation he's into... At least that's how i perceived it...Lovely!By the way thanks for the comment, so glad to read such nice words

2:07 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

I felt sick just reading htis poem, which i guess was the point! Really well written, good to read some of your posts as well

Natalie

3:51 PM  
Anonymous chiefbiscuit said...

Great poem. I especially enjoyed the line about the waves crashing inside his stomach - and the slithering to bed - very vivid.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Earth Monkey said...

hey, i've been here before. on a different bathroom floor. not with jack but some other manly bottle. glad to find your blog. thanks for dropin by my own. happy monday! cheers~!

7:14 PM  
Blogger bizele said...

I very much enjoyed the poem.
Bukowski is a favorite for me as well.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Dana said...

Hi Lisa,
you asked about two knitting books I showed in my blog. I bought both of them directly from the Rowan website (www.knitrowan.com), the one from Erika Knight - my favourite - is also available from amazon.com

Hope this helps.
Best, Dana

PS: I read a lot of Bukowski about ten years ago and I really like your poem on him!

3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home